Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Pumpkin Pie Playdough

You don't need expensive toys to entertain a toddler!

We used pumpkin pie spice to make homemade playdough that smells awesome!

We used this recipe:

5 3/4 Cups flour

2 cups salt

8 teaspoons Cream of Tartar (found in the spice aisle)

3/4 Cup oil

1 container Pumpkin Pie spice (1.12 oz.)

4 Cups water

Mix it all together in a big pot, put on medium-low heat, and stir. I had a hard time getting it to mix together well, so I used my electric mixer for awhile.

Pretty soon it looked like this:

I stirred until I had a hard time stirring it, then spread some flour on the table and dumped the playdough on. As soon as it cooled down a bit, I used my hands to form it into a few balls then let the toddler go to town!




Playdough can be very intense play

                   There can be train tracks
                   And roads with tunnels
And snakes!


















When we were finished playing, I put it in a Ziploc bag and refrigerated it. It should last several weeks, so we'll get it out to play with over and over again!

Frugal living is an art, and recipes like this can be much cheaper if you buy cheaply.  I got my flour on sale, and got my pumpkin pie spice at a surplus store for 50 cents.  That makes a big difference in cost for these type of things.  Always watch for deals, and when you get a deal, stock up as much as you can! 

No comments:

Post a Comment