Monday, October 28, 2013

Pancake syrup

I am learning about foraging, and was very excited when some kids at our homeschool group's nature scavenger hunt showed me how to find teaberries (aka wintergreen or winterberries) in the woods.

So I took my grandson out and we collected a small amount.

I wanted to make ice cream with it, but when I got it home I found I didn't quite have enough. So I found a recipe for teaberry syrup hereand followed that. Whipped up a batch of pancakes...perfect easy dinner.

The syrup didn't taste as fruity as I had thought it would be. Sometimes I put berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries...) in a pot, add sugar, maybe some corn starch or tapioca starch, and it makes a great fruity topping. This was closer to an actual syrup. Very good even though it wasn't what I was expecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment