Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Egg Nog (non-alcoholic)

Today was one of those days when my teenagers told me that what we had for supper was not going to keep them full for long and they didn't know what else to eat. Usually, I at least quadruple recipes so those growing boys can eat leftovers for many snacks and meals, and we usually have plenty of snacks on hand. But today I realized we needed something more, so I looked in the fridge and found I had plenty of milk close to its expiration date and a few cartons of eggs. I also had some whipping cream I had bought for homemade ice cream that I haven't had a chance to make yet. Perfect ingredients for making egg nog!

Here's my recipe:

12 eggs, separated

6 cups milk

2 cups whipping cream

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg

Cinnamon and sugar

Separate eggs. Mix yolks and sugar with an electric mixer for 10 minutes. Refrigerate while you're completing the next two steps.

Clean off your beaters and beat egg whites with the electric mixer until stiff peaks form.

Clean off your beaters and beat the whipping cream until stiff peaks form.

Mix milk and nutmeg into the egg yolk mixture. Fold in egg whites and cream.

Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top. Or, if your family is like mine, spoon it generously on top.

I doubled this for my family, but I don't think I would have had to. It's very rich and really does make quite a bit, so I think one recipe would have been sufficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment